Monday, August 6, 2007

Grass - Grass - Grass

I have spent all evening trying to kill crabgrass and other weeds on our lawns. After spending an hour or three outside, I came inside and I began to turn my thoughts to what grass seed should I plant. I starting doing some research on the internet only to be overwhelmed with choices.

Finally, I decided to give Emerald Zoysia grass a try. I hear that quite often Emerald Zoysia grass is the envy of the neighborhood and looks like a golf course yard.

Emerald Zoysia is a hybrid and does not come in seed. It only comes in sod. Although it's more expensive, known as 'the Cadillac of Zoysia', over time, you'll save money in your water bill because it does not need to be watered as much.

This grass supports foot traffic, paw traffic, and dog poo poo very, very well. Best of all you won't have to be outside twice a week breaking your back and sweating in this heat mowing. Zoysia loves the sun and is drought tolerant.

Mow the Zoysia very, very low at 1" to 1-1/2". Mowing that low is good for your Zoysia because it allows the sun to reach the soil ... and, Zoysia loves the sun. Cutting it low stresses any weeds that may be present because weeds usually need more height to be healthy.

If you hire a lawn service, DO NOT have them fertilize more than 4 times a year even though they will jump up and down and get red in the face while telling you that you must fertilize at least 6 times per year. Zoysia DOES NOT need to be fertilized that much and, in fact, fertilizing that much can be a detriment to its health because of increased thatch. They are just trying to sell you more than what you need.

Lawn services also mow to high because their mowers are usually set to mow that cheap, nasty, water hogging St. Augustine junk (do you really wanna know what I think of St. Augustine grass?!!).

I often watch a couple of the 'well known' lawn services in my neighborhood. They really never do what one cannot achieve. I just absolutely refuse to pay for lawn care.

I've followed other directions from so called "experts" but have never had the success that I hope a more "common sense" approach to growing Zoysia will achieve. Now, I hope my Zoysia plugs will arrive soon and that my lawn will be so thick that it will be like walking on carpet ... and, weeds should not have a chance ... they are completely choked out by the thick grass.

Let us hope that we will be "The Days'" that everyone in my neighborhood tries to keep up with!LOL

No comments: